If my hayfever is anything to go by, we are well and truly into Spring! To me, Spring is the season for cleaning and renewal and lists, and that’s given me the inspiration for this post. There are so many things that make me happy about the turn of the season, and there are some things that work their way into my Spring Essentials. Let me share them with you!
1. Midi skirts – If my friends had to pick a clothing item that defined my style, it would be a midi skirt! I seem to exclusively live in them come Spring-time. It’s such an easy way to drop in a block of colour, and I always feel like Stevie Nicks when I’m wafting about in them.
2. Antihistamines – As soon as April hits, these join my daily medication intake. Once I open a window or take a step outside, that’s it – red eyes and runny nose, here I come. Lucky, I have super-strength antihistamines on hands thanks to my peanut allergy, so I’ll survive (I can confirm, my mascara does not).
3. Statement tees – These really hold their own in Spring. With winter gone, I’m no longer hiding behind turtlenecks or baggy jumpers, so I’m gonna let my t-shirts do the talking. I’m currently head over heels for this one from Joanie – it’s bright and smart and good quality, and look at that embroidery! I know this will be a welcome addition in my work wear (whenever we can return to work, that is).
4. Memoirs & Autobiographies – Does anyone else find themselves drifting to different types of books as the seasons change? I love light fiction in the summer, and classics for when the nights get longer and darker. But right now, I’m loving memoirs. There’s something about Spring that makes me want to learn more, to know more, and memoirs or autobiographies are a part of that for me. Some of my favourites include Educated by Tara Westover, Just Kids by Patti Smith, and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. I’ll be back in a minute, just going to put them on my to read list…
5. Dalgona coffee – Watch out, this is a new one for me! I’ve always enjoyed iced coffee but I’m not here for spending over four quid on one (and we’re kind of in a pandemic, so I can’t even do that). Then, alongside came this trend on Tik Tok (I know, I know) showing you how to make whipped ice coffee. It’s so easy to make and is better than a simple instant coffee. Plus, it always makes me feel a little bit boujee which isn’t’ bad (even though I drink it out of my plastic Disney World mug like a child).
6. Denim jacket – What’s that? It’s April? BRING OUT THE DENIM JACKET. I’ve had this one for over seven years, and was my first ‘big’ purchase from ASOS. I find denim jackets are perfect for the British Spring-time, light enough to keep you covered and great to pair with zip up hoodies for extra warmth. Plus, they are the easiest piece of clothing to customise! I’m particularly proud of my pins and badges.
7. Scarves – I bring you, the Queen of Accessories! And I don’t mean heavy, knitted scarves, Winter is over ya’ll – Spring is the time for light, silky scarves, and they are not just to be used to keep the morning chill away. I love using them as hair accessories, as belts, and even as a picnic rug or blanket if the occasion arises (oh I can’t wait for the occasion to arise!).
8. Watercolours – Sun’s out, paints are out. I’ll start by saying, I am not an artist by any means – I just like mixing colours, painting blobs, and then going over them in fineliners. It makes me happy! There’s just something so lovely about having half an hour out of your day, sitting by a window in the sun, and being creative for no other reason than just being creative.
9. Statement earrings – I am an earrings all year round kind of girl, but I seem to bring out my statement pieces as soon as I bring out the denim jacket. I’ve already chosen my favourites for this season – these lemon ones I picked up from a vintage fair! The bright yellow and citrus fruit just shout ‘yes, it’s Spring time’!
10. Open windows – My final essential is so simple – it’s the opportunity to open my windows. Whether it’s sunny or raining, I welcome the scents and sounds – the sweet air and the petrichor; the birds singing and the sound of rain on the roof. It’s so nice to just be able to open a window without feeling the winter chill creeping in.
Let me know what your Spring Essentials are – what makes you happy, what you love to wear, or what you can’t go without (like my antihistamines)! Making this list brought me a lot of joy and made me really think about what I love about this season, and I hope it does the same for you.
Leave a Reply