(Well, I don’t know if we’ll ever be post-COVID, but you know what I mean…)
Ya’ll ever get stuck thinking about your achievements and goals in life? Oh, that’s just my highly anxious brain? Ah. Right… Nah, I know we all get caught up in thinking about what we’ve done in life, or what we want to do in the future. Sure, sometimes it can get overwhelming; but sometimes, looking to the future can be really exciting.
Ever since I was a teenageer, I’ve loved writing a bucket list. I never kept track of the things I did, and had about thirteen on the go at one time, so I was never a very good bucket-list-er. However, I can recall a few points that came up time and time again. Buy a pair of Doc Martens. Own a banjo. Get a degree. Go to Florida. Get engaged. A few days ago, I was hit out of the blue with the thought ‘HOLY MOLY I’ve actually done all of those!’
So, with my teenage bucket list years behind me, and a new-found lockdown induced invigoration for taking life by the balls, I’ve decided to make my own grown-up bucket list! One that I will keep, track, and actively try to achieve. Let me show you what I’ve come up with!
1. Write a book – I assume this is on most book blogger’s bucket lists; to be honest, on most people’s bucket lists.
2. Learn to play the piano – I’ve been lucky enough to have lessons in singing and on folk instruments, and have been able to teach myself other instruments such as guitar and ukulele. However, piano is a whooole different beast of an instrument.
3. Learn to play the violin – Same as learning the piano, really.
4. Read all of Murakami’s books – Last summer, I slipped into a kind of Murakami fest, reading a few of his books in a row. So, why not read them all?
5. Take ballroom dancing lessons – I can blame Strictly Come Dancing and my grandparents for this one.
6. Visit Ireland – Alas, I was going to achieve this one in March; darn you COVID…
7. Go to Pompeii and Herculaneum – Yes, I want to travel to Italy and experience that gorgeous sun, but I am all about the history side of things.
8. Island hopping in Greece – The beauty of the Greek island of Crete has got me wanting to explore more of that beautiful country! That, and Mamma Mia…
9. See the pyramids in Egypt – As a child, I loved learning about archeology and Egyptology. It’s safe to say some of that has followed me into adulthood.
10. Go gorge swimming – I had the chance to experience this a few years ago, but my anxiety got right in the way! I was worried about my weak ankle, my asthma, if it was safe, blah blah blah. Long story short; I regret not jumping at the chance.
11. Go on a road trip – This one has always been a bit tough for me as I can’t drive, but with my fiancee taking driving lessons, this one is looking more and more likely!
12. Go to Hobbiton! – Once a Lord of the Rings nerd, always a Lord of the Rings nerd. Also, who could say no to visiting New Zealand?
13. Glamp at a festival – I’m not eighteen anymore; give me bell tents, charging ports, and some semblance of toilets please.
14. Get married – Well, a ring landed on my finger last month so it looks like this one will be happening in the next few years! Of course, I’ll be writing about my experience, and I have some pretty cool wedding DIYs lined up…
15. Raise a family – Family is what you make it, but what I mean here is I want to have children, whether through birth or adoption. I’ve always been a family woman, so it’s just the right step for me.
16. Get a dog – This should be ‘get many dogs and cats and fill my life with animals’, but I’ll start with one for now.
17. Buy a house – A few years ago, this seemed so far out of reach. But now, I’ve got my sights on saving for that deposit (post-wedding that is).
18. Be able to run a 5k (without stopping) – I’ve got no shame in saying I’ve been trying to tick this off for years. The problem? I’m pretty darn lazy. Hopefully writing it down and posting it out there for all to see will help get me going.
19. Get a Masters – Another one I have started already! I’m one module into my Masters in English Literature from Winchester (just three more years until I’m done…)
20. Get a PhD – Call me Doctor Lewis please. And yes, this will be a Doctorate in the Arts. YES, it is a real Doctorate.
21. Be a professional in the creative industry – I’m a creative soul, whose entire University education was based around creativity. Whether it be through blogging, lecturing, theatre making – all I know is, I want to create for a living.
22. Be (more) proficient in Welsh – Get lost Español and Français; I’ve got a GCSE in Cymraeg. The fact I’ve forgotten most of it and can only really say ‘please may I go to the toilet’ is to be ignored.
23. Complete a course on photography – I really enjoy taking photos, but I’ve never progressed more than picking landscape or portrait mode on my DSLR. I want to learn the ins and outs of ISO and frame rates, to get better at the craft!
24. Hit 1000 followers on my blog – Of course, I couldn’t talk about my bucket list without talking about the good ol’ blog.
So, that’s what is currently on my more grown-up bucket list! I haven’t set a time limit on any of them, but I would like to get most of these done in the next fifteen years. Anyway, I’m sure this will get updated as life goes on; I may even do a throwback post ten years in the future, seeing if I actually manage to achieve any!
Do you have anything on your bucket list? Let me know in the comments (I may even get some more ideas)!
Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin |
Educate & Donate: Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust | Stonewall UK | Survivor’s Trust | Mind |
Leave a Reply to rosie abigail Cancel reply